Related posts:No related photos. Government told to help on ill-health staff lossesOn 18 Jul 2000 in Personnel Today Public-sector personnel chiefs have hit back at a central government crackdown on sickness retirement, saying Whitehall is to blame if staff retired early.A report from the Treasury last week said the 22,000 public-sector early retirements a year is “unacceptably high” – despite noting it had fallen from 40,000 in the mid 1990s – and said it is costing £1bn a year.But Terry Gorman, president of local government personnel directors’ body Socpo, said it would be better if the Government helped stop employees falling ill in the first place. “The Government has increased the responsibilities of local government at the same time as tightening the spending restrictions. In these circumstances it is difficult to keep motivated, if, when you fall ill through, say, stress or workplace injury, you are branded a skiver by the Government.”Gorman said local government – where ill-health accounts for 39 per cent of retirements, according to the Treasury – has accepted independent assessment of individuals claiming ill-health retirement and is ensuring alternative work is available where possible. A spokesman for the National Union of Teachers said the retirements are financially driven. She said, “It is a pity the Treasury does not have to deal with the problems confronting teachers and the stress they are under.”Karen Bell, president of the Association of Health Service HRManagers, said the report “failed to accept the reality that work is incredibly hard in the public sector, especially for the unskilled”. But she said absence can be managed with HR strategy.Chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales, Fred Broughton, said officers must not be penalised for doing a high-risk job. He said imposing penalties on police forces for not reducing ill-health retirements would cut into limited operational budgets.A spokesman for the Fire Brigades Union said 60 per cent of ill-health retirements in the fire service are because of injury sustained while working. “Most firefighters who retire early would much rather continue working.”www.hu-treasury.gov.uk Previous Article Next Article Comments are closed.
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Liverpool striker Mane avoids FA action after Lichtsteiner clashby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool striker Sadio Mane has avoided action after grabbing Stephan Lichsteiner around the throat during victory over Arsenal.Mane put his hands around Lichtsteiner’s neck during the first half of Saturday’s 5-1 home win at Anfield.However, The Sun reports referee Michael Oliver saw the incident at the time and duly awarded a free-kick which means there will be no further action.The clash summed up a feisty, frustrating evening for the Gunners as they fell five points behind fourth-placed Chelsea.There was even a tunnel bust-up involving Arsenal defender Sokratis and Liverpool top scorer Mo Salah.
Crouch: Spurs just suffering blipby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Tottenham striker Peter Crouch insists their poor start to the season is just a “blip”.He wrote for the Daily Mail: “(Mauricio) Pochettino is the best thing that has happened to Tottenham in 20 years. I say that as someone who was at the club in the late 1990s and, again, 10 years later when Harry Redknapp took charge: I’ve seen good and bad times first hand and I know what I’m seeing now.”This is a blip, nothing more. I was at Leicester seven days ago and I didn’t see too much wrong with their performance. “They should, really, have won that game and I will argue with anyone who thinks VAR was brought in to decide offside calls like the one which went against Son Heung-min.”
Chelsea send Makelele to check on Gallagher at Charltonby Freddie Taylor16 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea have been stunned by the form of Conor Gallagher at Charlton.The midfielder was shipped out on loan after featuring for the Blues over preseason.He has starred for the Addicks since then, having added four goals and one assist to his name.The Sun says youth loan coach Claude Makelele has been making regular visits to watch the 19-year-old in action.Manager Lee Bowyer has confirmed Makelele’s presence at the Valley and believes he is one to watch for the future. About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Chelsea boss Lampard dead against Champions League expansionby Paul Vegas7 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea manager Frank Lampard is dead against the expansion of the Champions League.Lampard – who lifted the trophy in 2012 – does not think that more matches will fit into the calendar.A proposed reform of the Europe’s elite competition – led by Juventus chairman Andrea Agnelli – seeks to expand from 17 to 21 matches for the finalists.”The feeling is that you’re in the ultimate club competition, and the reason for that is because you have the best teams from each league, and the best team from the year before that deserve to be there,” he said.”The year we won the Champions League we came second the year before. We know the format, we know what it is, but whenever you play in the Champions League you know you’re playing against the best and for me that is the format and the beauty of it.’ “As a manager I actually feel weight of games more than I did as a player, even though I was running around as a player,’ he explained. “As a manager you’re thinking about how can you keep the team fresh, and it’s a challenge with all the competitions we have now.”I have a soft spot for the League Cup because we won it a couple of times at Chelsea, and it was the first competition I ever won. Domestically it gives teams a feeling you can compete on a level in a cup at home, which is important.”If you ask me can we play more European games, I personally don’t believe you can fit them in amongst our busy schedule. “I would find it hard to keep the quality level and the freshness within the players. If you did do that there would be a lot of discussion about how that would work practically. At the minute I think the level is about right. I like the format personally.”
Man Utd No2 Phelan offers explanation for form slideby Paul Vegasa day agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United assistant Mike Phelan has argued it was inevitable that the club’s form would dip last season.Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s appointment as caretaker manager in December brought about a run of 11 wins from 11 games.However, after Solskjaer’s permanent appointment, the Red Devils were unable to win any of their last six matches.”We’d taken them from nothing to sky high, but they bottomed out because it was just too much, they weren’t prepared for it,” Phelan told The Athletic. “So we had a lot of things to work on.”Ole relates well with the players, he understands what Man United is. It is definitely a difficult moment, but Ole hasn’t got his team yet.”He’s had three players (signed), you need more than three to be the manager of your own team.”We can build on something, I think. Ole just needs that opportunity to create the culture again.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Twitter/@Karlos_SrDuring a College GameDay segment about Ohio State’s high profile quarterback battle, Desmond Howard made it very clear who he believes will come out on top. Citing Cardale Jones’ Twitter antics, which he does not appreciate, Howard thinks that J.T. Barrett is a lock to win the job. Desmond Howard on J.T. Barrett: “He’s not really about the foolishness” Tell us what you really think— Land-Grant Holy Land (@Landgrant33) September 5, 2015Desmond Howard just called Cardale Jones’ tweets to Ronda Rousey “foolishness” and cited it as a reason J.T. should start. So there’s that.— Ben Axelrod (@BenAxelrod) September 5, 2015Former Florida State running back Karlos Williams, of all people, was very upset with Howard.Desmond Howard is a hater.— Karlos Williams Sr. (@Karlos_Sr) September 5, 2015He don’t know nun bout what players do in the personal time. He just talking.— Karlos Williams Sr. (@Karlos_Sr) September 5, [email protected] Bruh be hating.— Karlos Williams Sr. (@Karlos_Sr) September 5, 2015We probably wouldn’t have guessed that Karlos Williams would be a Cardale Jones defender this morning, but here we are.
VANCOUVER, B.C. – Environment and Climate Change Canada says 32 weather temperature records were broken yesterday, March 18th in B.C and the Yukon.When looking at the Environment of Canada’s website, FSJ’s highest recorded temperature for March 18th was documented between 1942-2012 as 11.8 C and yesterday the temperatures reached 13.5 C. Areas close to FSJ that also saw record-breaking temperatures were; Chetwynd’s new record is 15.5 from 13.9 in 2015, records started in 1970 Fort Nelson’s new record is 16.6 from 10.6 in 1960, records started in 1937Bobby Sekhon, a meteorologist with Environment Canada, says we can expect to see this warm trend in temperatures to continue all this week and into next week.For more information on FSJ warm weather trend; CLICK HERE
NEW DELHI: After a day-long meeting on Wednesday between AAP and Congress in various phases, the alliance between both the parties remained inconclusive but the sources from both the parties confirmed that the talks will continue. According to the sources, the AAP has accepted the 4:3 seat sharing formula in Delhi but as in Haryana the Congress was not ready to negotiate the talks.AAP’s Sanjay Singh on Wednesday met Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad to take the alliance talks to a conclusion, sources said. According to sources, has proposed a 6:3:1 seat sharing in Haryana in which Congress would fight from six seats, while the JJP would field its candidates for three seats and one candidate would be fielded by the AAP. But the Congress has proposed a 7:2:1 seat-sharing formula in which seven Congress candidates, two JJP candidates and one AAP candidate would contest the polls, the sources added. On Wednesday, Singh also met CM Arvind Kejriwal to apprise him about the condition where the AAP national convenor also reportedly agreed with the Delhi pact. Later in the evening, confusion erupted when Singh said, “Congress has refused to form an alliance in Haryana and we do not want a tie-up only in Delhi.” Minutes after the statement, the sources said that the talk will continue and no such decision of calling off talks took place. Earlier, Congress offered four Delhi seats to Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) to ensure the rout of the BJP. However, in response to Congress’ offer, AAP leadership asked for three seats in Haryana and one in Chandigarh. Sources had told the Indian Express that Haryana was the main demand as AAP believed it has enough support in Gurgaon, Faridabad and Karnal seats to win with an alliance. Meanwhile, sources in Congress denied having any knowledge of AAP’s demand and said the party never put forth any such request when the possibility of an alliance was being discussed earlier. Earlier, AAP sources said if the Congress wants alliance only in Delhi then it has to be in the 5:2 ratio and if an alliance is sealed for both Delhi and Haryana then the ratio can be 4:3 in the national capital and 6:3:1 in Haryana. Amid a continuing blame-game over seat-sharing in Delhi, Rahul Gandhi and CM Kejriwal Monday engaged in a public spat, with the Congress president accusing the AAP of making a “U-turn” over alliance talks, prompting the Delhi chief minister to hit back at him. Gandhi had said while the doors of his party are open, time is running out, but CM Kejriwal slammed him, questioning what U-turn was he talking about as the talks were still on. AAP has already declared candidates on all seven Lok Sabha seats.