Biting citing sours Fiji team’s Australian NRC debut

first_imgPhoto by: BRADLEY KANARIS/GETTY IMAGES Caption: Samu Suguturaga of Fiji scores a try during the round one NRC match against Brisbane, but was later the subject of a biting allegation. Fijian Drua hooker Samu Suguturaga will face a NRC judicial hearing on Tuesday night after allegedly biting his opposite number, Brisbane City skipper Andrew Ready, on the ear in a scrum.Ready reported the incident to the on-field referee immediately during his team’s 45-36 opening round win at Ballymore on Saturday.”I’m lucky he was wearing a mouthguard otherwise he would have had the whole thing [ear],” Ready said later, sporting two stitches in his outer ear.”It’s pretty disgusting and shouldn’t be in the game. The ref said he didn’t see it so it’s with the officials now.”The judicial hearing will take place at the Queensland Rugby Union offices at Ballymore and will be overseen by judicial officer Paul Tully.last_img read more

Folau claims record third John Eales Medal

first_imgFolau has topped the medal count, which is voted on by players on a 3-2-1 basis after each Test from Spring Tour to the final Bledisloe, for the third time in just five seasons in rugby, finishing with 260 votes, ahead of Kurtley Beale (166), Bernard Foley (146), Michael Hooper (142) and Sean McMahon (129)The fullback, who is set to go on sabbatical after this weekend’s Barbarians clash, was one of just four players to have won it twice before this season – alongwith George Smith, Nathan Sharpe and current skipper Michael Hooper.Folau comes off contract at the end of 2018 and has now won a Super Rugby title, played in a World Cup and won three top individual gongs, but he still feels there’s more to give.”Winning a Bledisloe – that’s something that stands out, that loss that we had to the All Blacks in the World Cup was disappointing,” he said.”So those things it’d be nice to tick those boxes but in terms of personal goals and that, I’m happy with how things have gone.”I’m never satisfied, it’s always about the team and how we can improve and move forward and get better.”Folau trailed flanker David Pocock at the end of the Spring Tour, before a sensational June Series, that included three consecutive doubles for the 28-year-old, put him in front.Beale’s sensational season since returning from England had him right in the reckoning, with the inside back finishing second despite missing half the Test year.”I didn’t expect it,””(Michael Hooper) is always a standout for me, he does all the hard work and I think a lot of people don’t realise the work that he puts in week in, week out.”I guess I’m a little bit lucky in the sense that KB (Beale) didn’t participate in the Spring Tour last year.”For me it’s been special to receive this award and be recognised by the guys that you go out with and play alongside, that’s something that I’m very humbled by and you can’t really describe it with words.”Hooper took the fan’s choice Wallaby of the Year, going back-to-back with that gong, while 2017 debutant Ned Hanigan was crowned the Rookie of the Year, ahead of Wallaroos’ Millie Boyle, Aussie Sevens’ Lachie Anderson and fellow Test debutant Izack Rodda.Chloe Dalton and James Stannard were named the Shawn Mackay Award winners after standout seasons in transition years for both sides.Liam Wright, a surprise call-up into the Wallabies squad this week, was named the U20s player of the year, beating out Wallabies debutant Jordan Uelese for that prize.Rebels backrower Amanaki Mafi topped the Super Rugby Player of the Year voting, in an award dominated by forwards, besting nominees Adam Coleman and Allan Alaalatoa. Joe Powell’s try that lit up the Brumbies clash against the Hurricanes was handed try of the year.AWARD WINNERSJohn Eales Medal standingsIsrael Folau  – 260Kurtley Beale – 166Bernard Foley- 146Michael Hooper – 142Sean McMahon – 129Tevita Kuridrani  – 111David Pocock – 107Reece Hodge – 91Dane Haylett-Petty – 86Jack Dempsey – 76Shawn Mackay Women’s Sevens Player of the YearChloe Daltonlast_img read more

Sport: PNG to face Afghanistan in World Twenty20 playoff

first_imgAfghanistan get another life after losing to Hong Kong by five wickets overnight.Hong Kong scored 16 runs off the last five balls to surpass the Afghan total of 161 for 7.The Netherlands have also advanced to next year’s global event, beating Namibia by four wickets.PNG will be hoping to go one step better after missing out at the final hurdle two years ago.last_img

Club registration on for NCD taekwondo trials

first_imgThis is in a series of three trials before a final selection is done on 31 July 2016.Taekwondo clubs in NCD are urged to register their clubs and fighters for the first trial with fighters from Central and Gulf Province invited to participate.Nomination fee is K150 per club and the competitor’s registration fee is K20 per athlete with registration to close on 31 December this year.All proceeds will go towards the levy fees for Team NCD taekwondo squad to the Games in Kimbe.NCD Taekwondo will work alongside NCDC Sports Desk to finalise the NCD taekwondo team for the Games.NCD taekwondo instructor master Jamuga Stone confirmed that the executives have selected 2nd dan black belt holder and PNG heavyweight champion Sam Ware as the new coach.Ware will be assisted by PNG 1st dan black belt holder Duaba Dauba to head the NCD Taekwondo team.Picture: PNG taekwondo fighter in action at the recent Pacific Games in Port Moresbylast_img read more

Morata already touches the ball

first_imgMorata continues to take steps in his recovery. The goal is to be available for the match against Liverpool next Tuesday and the striker could have minutes, even, this Friday against Valencia. Not from the beginning, but maybe at the end. It depends on how you are, the priority is Tuesday. If yesterday Morata was already running continuously in one of the fields below the Cerro del Espino, Majadahonda, the polyhedron, this morning I already played ball accompanied by one of the team’s recuperators, Óscar Pitillas. Morata suffered a derby muscle injury against Real Madrid Last February 2 at the Santiago Bernabeú and, with very fair deadlines, he immediately began working with an objective: February 18, Liverpool, much of the season goes through this match first leg of the round of 16 in the Wanda Metropolitano. Sin Costa, who went through the operating room in November because of a cervical disc herniation, and also without João Félix, that just before the derby went on to swell the infirmary for a muscle injury and for three days he has been resting at home for a pharyngotonsillitis, Simeone was left with Morata’s injury without pure strikers beyond Saponjic but his role in this Athletic seems rather residual: he was the last to debut, he did not do so until the Copa del Rey match in León, against the Cultural, and has only played 62 minutes, nothing. Before Granada, Cholo already had to improvise a forward Correa-Vitolo, a plan that, according to the tests that it has been carrying out in recent days, can be repeated in Mestalla. But with Morata already on the bench. Waiting for your minutes.last_img read more

Without José Mari, Cádiz has only won once

first_imgWith José mari MatchesCattleTiedLost 19144one 9one35 MatchesCattleTiedLost José Mari fell from the call of Cervera by a flu process and the technician wanted to counteract his absence by lowering Alex to the core. The Madrid was good during the game, but where he is most used is in positions close to the area. Malbasic, however, was not so successful playing Álex and Cádiz noticed. It happened again. Cádiz lost against Málaga and again the absence of José Mari was decisive. The yellow team does not carbure without the roteño on the pitch. The Cervera could not develop their game comfortably against a Malaga that was perfect and combative in the field. The number increases. Without José Mari, Cádiz has only won a match of nine. Five defeats and three draws complete the statistic. Everything changes when the roteño plays. In 19 games, the yellows have won 14, have drawn four and they have only fallen defeated on one occasion, against Fuenlabrada in Fernando Torres (1-0). In this match he was injured and without ‘6’, the yellows lost the income they had obtained during the first round, adding three draws, two losses and winning only one game (Oviedo, 1-2).Without José Mari After his absence of six games, he returned to wear the yellow against Racing and has played the last three games, before missing yesterday’s appointment in Carranza. Two wins and one draw, the baggage. Against Sporting, the midfielder should play again in the core. There is José Mari dependence.last_img read more

LaLiga will announce shortly that it will extend its suspension to April

first_imgAs AS has learned, the proposed alternatives that have already begun to be debated have fluctuated from the most optimistic, which would be to start on April 23, during the week, the most pessimistic, which would happen because they could not restart the championship and make drastic decisions together with the Federation to designate the champion, if there were or if it is left desert, the ascents and the descents. This is the situation that everyone wants to avoid since it would be necessary to put themselves in the hands of UEFA to decide also who will go to Europe next year without having finished the season on the pitch. A scenario that for the RFEF, in the words of Luis Rubiales, “would be totally unfair”.Now they will continue to work on the UEFA reduced committee to take a good look at all the possibilities. “Until late May we have time to start competing,” the LaLiga president said yesterday. Therefore, several of its alternatives focused on restarting Spanish football in that month, when it is already assumed that the coronavirus contagion curve will be on the decline.The first option is to play again the weekend of May 2 and 3. And if it is not possible, on the 13th and the 14th, again during the week. Even so, Thebes has also offered more possibilities with which it would no longer be feasible to end on June 30, as desired, since this could cause problems with the contracts of the players that, on the other hand, as announced yesterday by Iusport, FIFA going to check urgently. Thus, it is not ruled out having to finish in July or even in summer if necessary.What is clear, whatever the calendar plan chosen, is that it will be necessary to play during the week several times. And that, in addition, the Champions and the Europa League could also be played on weekends. In all the possible scenarios to be studied, the Second has also been considered. LaLiga guarantees that all the games will be played (there are 11 days left as in the First) and that also goes through playing the promotion Playoff. LaLiga will communicate soon, at most in a few days, the extension of the suspension of the Spanish championship while the state of alarm and its extension lasts. The Government is already planning to announce an extension of the confinement decreed for two weeks, surely until the end of Holy Week (April 12), as Minister Ábalos already announced and published El Confidencial Digital, and the employers will shortly communicate that football is not You can therefore resume football. At first it could extend the break until the same date that the Government decreed, so it wants to wait, although You are already aware that it will be difficult to compete again until the end of April or even May.LaLiga, after meeting several times electronically with the rest of the major competitions, has agreed to take this step. In fact, The Premier has already officially announced that it will suspend its league until April 30. LaLiga will also do the same right away while continuing to redo all the schedules with UEFA. As Javier Tebas himself assured AS in a recent interview, “Until mid-May we have time to resume and for LaLiga to end perfectly before June 30.”LaLiga has been working since last weekend on five possible alternatives to square the restart of its championship with that of the rest of the countries and with the European competitions. The fact that the Euro Cup has already been officially postponed to June 2021 has made things much easier, although Javier Tebas had already designed different sketches of calendars to present to UEFA, regardless of this decision that was made last Tuesday. Luis Gil, competition director at LaLiga, has been the architect who, together with Thebes, has developed all the new scenarios.last_img read more