COVID-19: Govt to provide Rp 4.5t in social assistance to millions of low-income people in Jakarta

first_imgThe Social Affairs Ministry is preparing an assistance program worth around Rp 4.5 trillion (US$276 million) to serve as a cushion for residents in Jakarta impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.Partnering with the Social Affairs Ministry, the Jakarta administration is planning to provide Rp 1 million to each household for a targeted 2.6 million residents, comprising the poor and vulnerable groups, between April and May, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan said on Thursday.As of September 2019, there were 362,300 poor residents in the capital city with monthly spending below Rp 663,355 per person. The figure is down 0.27 percent from the same period in 2018, according to Statistics Indonesia’s Jakarta office (BPS Jakarta). The targeted residents in Jakarta are expected to suffer losses because the administration ordered the suspension of school, office, religious and public activities as it declared a state of emergency between March 16 and April 19. As people are staying at home, they are buying less goods and services as reflected in quiet traditional markets.The extended state of emergency in Jakarta, the national epicenter of the outbreak, was a response to the recent wave of coronavirus cases that shows no signs of slowing down yet. Jakarta has been the hardest hit province in the country with 897 confirmed cases and 90 fatalities, nearly half the nationwide figure of 1,790 cases and 170 fatalities.Anies further said that some residents falling into the group were not Jakarta residents by their identity cards, which made it harder for the administration to collect their data.The administration will use data it has been collecting through a program called One Jakarta, which employs the Family Welfare Movement (PKK) to collect household data.Editor’s note: The heading and lead of this article have been updated to clarify the source of the social assistance.Topics : However, the administration and the ministry have data only on poor residents who have been registered in the government’s social safety net programs. They do not have data on the vulnerable residents. Incomplete data on the targeted residents thus poses a challenge to the plan.“We need time to identify the groups vulnerable to fall into poverty,” Anies said during an online video conference with Vice President Ma’ruf Amin on Thursday.Read also: Indonesia braces for recession, activates crisis protocol“These are people who have not received any direct assistance,” said Anies. They are motorcycle taxi drivers, meatball sellers and street vendors. They do have an income. But when the economy is contracting, they lose their income.”last_img read more

US House passes bill to sanction Chinese banks over Hong Kong

first_imgThe US House of Representatives passed legislation on Wednesday that would penalize banks doing business with Chinese officials who implement a national security law that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called a “brutal, sweeping crackdown” on Hong Kong.The measure passed by unanimous consent, reflecting concern in Washington over China’s enactment of a security law seen as ending the autonomy that allowed the former British colony to thrive as an international financial center.The US Senate passed similar legislation last week, but under congressional rules the bill must return to the Senate and be passed there before being sent to the White House for President Donald Trump to sign into law or veto. Earlier, Pelosi made an unusual appearance at a committee hearing on the situation in Hong Kong to say the security law marked the death of the “One Country, Two Systems” principle.“The law is a brutal, sweeping crackdown against the people of Hong Kong, intended to destroy the freedoms they were promised,” Pelosi said at the House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing.Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the security law was an affront to all nations and Washington would continue to implement Trump’s directive to end the territory’s special status.The United States has already begun eliminating Hong Kong’s special status, halting defense exports and restricting the territory’s access to high technology products.Topics :last_img read more

Lady Bulldogs Middle School Basketball Weekend Results At Columbus

first_imgThe 8th Grade Lady Bulldogs fell to 3-3 for the season with a tough loss on Saturday at Columbus 46-23.Scoring for The Bulldogs were: Katie Brewer 7, Catherine Raab 6, Kenzie Laker, Shalee Harrignton, Kerigan Hakamp, Paige Oldham, and Chloe Saler each put in 2.The 7th Grade Team lost.Come out and support them tonight for the cross town shootout against St. Louis.Courtesy of Bulldogs Coach Lisa Horn.last_img

Cindy A. Gillespie, 60

first_imgCindy A. Gillespie, 60, of Greensburg, passed away on Sunday, June 11, 2017 inIndianapolis. Cindy was born in White Pines, Michigan on April 2, 1957 to William Rabideau and Cuba (Shafer) Gebelein. Cindy was a stay at home mother but referred to herself as a Domestic Goddess. She was very involved in crafts, including drawing, artwork, ceramics, and cross stitch.  Cindy was married to David L. Gillespie on July 19, 1974 and he survives. She is also survived by her mother; Cuba Gebelein, step-mother; Joann Rabideau, twosons; Andrew Gillespie, Greensburg, Anthony (Rebecca) Gillespie, Columbus, one brother; Bill Rabideau, two step-brothers; Conrad Crank, Terry Crank, five sisters; Linda McCarthy, Kathy Rabideau, Nanci Stewart, Darlene (Michael) Stokes, Susie (Chris) King, and four grandchildren; Paige, Xander, Chandler, and Hendrix Gillespie.Cindy was preceded in death by her father; William Rabideau.  Visitation will be from 10 am 12 pm on Thursday, June 15 followed by funeral services at 12 p.m. with Rev. Michael Cunnington officiating. Burial will follow at South Park Cemetery. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society. Online condolences can be made at www.popfuneralhome.comlast_img read more

Batesville author publishes first novel, book signing scheduled

first_imgWhen soldiers start to malfunction and a strange little girl arrives, Paige and the scrappers of Ft. Thomas soon find themselves swept up in a mystery that, left unsolved, may mean the end of the already fragile peace between humans and synthetics.Bass, formerly Angie Dickman, graduated from Batesville High School in 2000, from Indiana University in 2004 and currently lives and works in Batesville. She is married and has two children.Bass will hold her first book signing event at the Big Four Café from 2 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, August 25. Batesville, In. — Batesville resident A.J. Bass has published her first novel- Paige’s Story: Book One of the Fort Thomas Series through Amazon Direct Publishing.The book tells the story of a secret lab destroyed by an explosion and an experimental computer virus is unleashed on the world, invading artificially intelligent workers and soldiers. Once infected, these synthetic humans experience one of two side-effects – Sentience or Corruption.Thirty years later, the military and governments of the world are still struggling to cope with the shock. Synthetics are met with distrust by most, subjugation by some, and acceptance at arms-length by the rest. To further study the rising sentience in the world’s robotic population, the military has recruited the best and brightest scientific minds to research this mysterious virus. Unfortunately for thirteen-year-old Paige Bryan, her parents are two of those minds chosen, and she finds herself moving to Fort Thomas – a military base full of sentient androids.last_img read more

Obasi: Why I was dropped from Super Eagles 2014 World Cup squad

first_img Promoted Content10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right Now9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?Couples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More10 Greatest Disney Female Villains We Love Anyways8 Addictive And Fun Coffee FactsYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?Which Country Is The Most Romantic In The World? “They don’t care to know what I went through on a daily basis making sure I get my body in shape, to stay healthy.” “It takes a lot of dedication, money, investing in myself, and my body. I went through surgery, did everything I can.” “Now competition is coming up, you’re inviting me to the national team. I’ve exhausted my own money, and you want me to pay, which is a slap in the face for me.” “I said I’m not comfortable doing that. They said I should know the system, and I should act like I’m a Nigerian. I said it’s not about being a Nigerian but doing the right thing.” Ogbuke added that some players had no business going to the World Cup that year, but he refused to talk about it because he did not want to create bad blood. “I’ve kept it close to my chest since 2014 because you’d have unnecessary enemies when you talk. People who played in lower leagues went to that World Cup. I’m not taking a jab at anyone,” he continued. “If you’re good for the World Cup, then you should go, but I feel like if you have to take the best and at the time, I was playing for a top team, Schalke 04 which was among the top team in Europe at the time. read also:Obasi pitches tent with Swedish champions for third time “Funny enough, after the conversation, it got a bit more personal. They told me that even if I end up going as part of the team, their own agent will negotiate that deal. I said it doesn’t sound good to me.” Ogbuke has played 26 times for Nigeria with his last appearance coming in an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Guinea in 2011. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 The Elfsborg star revealed he was sent an invitation initially but was then asked to pay some money if he wants to make the final squad. However, the 33-year-old revealed he refused to heed to the demands and was subsequently dropped from the final 23-man team. The former Schalke man who made his debut in 2005 said he found it strange he was asked to pay as he was not a new player in the national team then. Obasi had already played for Nigeria at the 2010 World Cup and Africa Cup of Nations the same year. “I was supposed to play at the World Cup in 2014. I was playing with Schalke in the Champions League. Everything was going on fine, Obasi said in an Instagram Live interview with woramangra “At the end of the season, I was sent an invitation for the world cup preparations.” Two days before the list came out, I was asked to pay some money if I want to be in the team.” “I felt like I’ve paid my dues for the country, I shouldn’t do this. If I was a young player, maybe I would have done that, but it was a bit personal for me, and I felt very heartbroken. “I was supposed to move from Hoffenheim to England, and I got injured playing for Nigeria at the World Cup [in South Africa].” “After that competition, nobody called me to know how I am doing. I spent a lot of money to get fit. All people talked about was the injury. Loading… Chinedu Obasi has revealed that he was dropped from the Super Eagles 2014 World Cup squad because he refused to pay a bribe.last_img read more

Oliver tops two features at Lee County

first_imgJohn Oliver Jr. won both the IMCA Sunoco Stock Car and Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMod fea­tures Friday at Lee County Speedway. (Photo by D &M Racing Photography)By Brian NealDONNELLSON, Iowa (May 26) – John Oliver Jr. took home two trophies Friday night, after win­ning Donnellson Tire & Service IMCA Stock Car and Shottenkirk Parts Express IMCA Northern SportMod features at Lee County Speedway.After getting the lead on lap 15, Oliver held off Jason Cook the last three circuits to gain the Stock Car victory. Oliver ran in front every circuit in collecting the Northern SportMod checkers.Michael Long was fastest in a big field of IMCA Modifieds and won in front of Hunter Marriott and Colby Springsteen.Brandon Lambert prevailed in the caution-free Armstrong Tractor IMCA Sport Compact main event. Twenty cars comprised the starting field for that 15-lapper.last_img read more

Final Lone Star Series checkers fly at Texas Nationals

first_imgWACO, Texas – IMCA Lone Star Series shows on Friday and Saturday, July 4 and 5 at Heart O’ Texas Speedway do double duty as the Texas Nationals. IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modifieds, IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars, Scoggin-Dickey Parts Center Southern SportMods and IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks all see holiday weekend action at Waco. Both Modified features will pay $1,000 to win and are qualifiers for the Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot. SportMod features pay $750 to win, Stock Car features pay $600 and Hobby Stock features $400. Along with the biggest share of the respective purses, Modified and Stock Car series champions earn bonus points applicable toward national and regional point standings. Southern SportMod bonus points count in the national points race. All four divisions are at Cotton Bowl Speedway in Paige for the Thursday, July 3 Lone Star Series show. The top driver in points in each division for the final three nights of the series get $250 bonuses.Series Director Selby Holder and officials from the IMCA home office will be in attendance at all three events.last_img read more

Walmart to raise prices due to tariffs on China

first_imgOfficials at Walmart are reporting that their customers may see a rise in the prices of certain items due to the increased tariffs the US is placing on goods produced in China.Walmart chief financial officer Brett Biggs told reporters Thursday that while they will attempt to keep their prices low, they can not guarantee that they will remain low:“We’re going to continue to do everything we can to keep prices low. That’s who we are. However, increased tariffs will lead to increased prices, we believe, for our customers.”While the majority of Walmart’s goods are produced in the US, the company which is one of America’s largest retailers, still import 26% of its merchandise from China, according to UBS analyst Michael Lasser.It was not mentioned what items will see increases, but according to analyst, the tariffs will mostly affect industrial materials, component parts, luggage, hats and gloves that are imported.Biggs told reporters that the company is working with their suppliers and merchant teams to try and offset the increased cost in other ways.The tariffs may also affect other stores such as Macy’s and Target. Sporting good stores, auto parts companies, and furniture sellers will also be effected.According to a letter, China accounted for about 41% of all apparel, 72% of all footwear, and 84% of all travel goods imported into the United States in 2017.last_img read more

99th anniversary of first world title fight

first_imgYESTERDAY (Thursday) marked the 99th anniversary of the Jack Dempsey versus Georges Carpentier bout. On July 2, 1921, the first official world championship endorsed by a global organisation took place and the World Boxing Association -known as the National Boxing Association (NBA) at that time- sanctioned the title. Previously champions were recognized by public acclamation.Over the years this model has been adopted by other boxing organizations to make boxing what it is today. The bout took place in New Jersey, and Dempsey won the WBA heavyweight title.At the time of the fight, Dempsey was 26 years old. He is also a WBA icon who represents the values and work that have been undertaken over the years to develop the sport. He started it all and leads a list of great fighters who have worn the black and gold belt over the years.This is a special day, not only for the WBA, but for boxing, because it commemorates a historical achievement for both the organization and boxing in general. (Fightnews)last_img read more