Major League Baseball could suspend Alex Rodriguez under its collective bargaining agreement for his latest drug controversy.Taking that step against the slugger would stop the New York Yankees player from returning to the field, even if his current injury has healed.Rodriguez has never been disciplined for a drug offense by MLB. A first-time offender under baseball’s Joint Drug Agreement may still be able to take the field if the players’ union files a grievance. The penalty would simply be put on hold until after an arbitrator rules the case.But if the MLB suspends him under the collective bargaining agreement he would have to sit out.Rodriguez and other players have been involved in a major investigation by MLB. Since January, reports have surfaced alleging several players received performance enhancement drugs from Biogenesis of America, a former anti-aging clinic on Florida.In the past, the Yankees player admitted to using PEDs while playing with the Texas Rangers from 2001-03. He has denied using them since then.
Nearly 1000 Participate in Immigration Bill Consultations Recommended for you PDM Chairman says North & Middle Caicos MP ignorant of law, fails to remove voters Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:daylight saving time, donhue gardiner Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 05 Mar 2015 – One of the Caribbean’s top tourist destinations is set to give its residents and visitors an extra hour of sunshine each and every day of the year, it was announced today, Tuesday, 3 March 2015.When the Turks & Caicos Islands (TCI) moves its clocks forward on hour on Sunday, 8 March 2015, it will be for the last time – from then on the territory will observe Atlantic Standard Time (AST) rather than Eastern Standard Time (EST).Given its proximity to the equator, TCI’s days tend to be of a similar length all year round, but when the Islands have traditionally moved to EST in November, it gets dark at about 5pm in the Islands. Now everyone will be able to enjoy the TCI’s warm sunshine until well after 6pm during the winter.“This move will provide our visitor and residents with an extra hour of sunshine during our winter months, our peak tourist season,” said the Honourable Ricardo Donhue Gardiner, Minster for Border Control and Employment. ”This will be good news for our resorts, bars and restaurants, as well as allowing our residents to enjoy a little more sunshine at the end of their day. The decision was made to move permanently to AST in 2014, but only implemented now to allow proper notification of the relevant international authorities, including airlines and shipping companies.TCI was previously in the same time zone – EST – and follows the same Daylight Savings Time schedule as most of eastern United States and Canada. Clocks are set one hour forward on the second Sunday in March and turned back one hour on the first Sunday in November. From 8 March 2015 TCI will be on AST all year round, making it one hour ahead of cities like New York and Toronto when the US and Canada who will continue to observe the move to EST each fall. Turks and Caicos will not change time on Nov 1
But what happens when industry awards programs become so ubiquitous and inclusive that they begin to erode their very meaning? That’s the question being asked in the Canadian magazine space this week after five of the country’s largest magazine publishers announced plans to break away from the decades-old National Magazine Awards and form their own, ostensibly more exclusive, awards program. The Magazine Grands Prix, as the upstart rival will be known, will be administered by Magazines Canada and will honor 26 honorees — 13 individuals and 13 brands — in an inaugural event next April in Toronto as part of the annual MagNet conference. In contrast, the 2015-2016 National Magazine Awards comprised a total of 303 individual honors spanning 39 categories. In the publishing industry, awards programs and recognition events are important. They foster a sense of community, set standards of quality for which to strive, and for many of us — Folio: produces several — they serve as a welcome supplement to the bottom lines of publishers and industry associations alike. The announcement comes several months after representatives of Rogers Communications, TVA Publications, St. Joseph Media, Reader’s Digest Media, and The Walrus magazine sent a letter to the National Magazine Awards Foundation (NMAF) — the non-profit that administers the awards and supports itself through ticket sales and entry fees — informing the NMAF of the need for “far fewer and more meaningful awards” that were “more closely aligned to celebrating excellence at the very highest level.” “The NMAF responded with a request for additional information as well as an opportunity to meet and discuss how the needs of the magaizne industry could best be served by both parties,” Joyce Byrne, then-NMAF president, told the blog Canadian Magazines in December. “This request was declined.” The 39th annual National Magazine Awards went on as planned, in June, with the aforementioned five publishers taking home more than a third of the 303 nods. Evidently, those honors did little to assuage the concerns of the Grands Prix supporters, with the schism continuing as planned. Entry fees for the Magazine Grands Prix will be $100, with a reduced $50 fee for magazines with circulations under 5,000. For the National Magazine Awards, most entry fees run between $95 and $120, depending on the category. Curiously, the NMAF issued a statement the day before Magazine Grands Prix was announced promising a refined, “more focused” awards program in 2017, to mark the program’s 40th anniversary. The announcement made no mention of Magazines Canada or the pressure being applied by five of the country’s largest publishers. “Our view was, if we’re going to do the top magazine awards program in the country, let’s make it really, really focused,” Douglas Knight, chair of Magazines Canada and president of St. Joseph Communications, told The Globe and Mail last week. “To win a Magazine Grands Prix, you’re going to feel, ‘Okay, this is a serious award.'” Whether or not a day of reckoning looms on the horizon for either the NMAF or its upstart rival, or whether reconciliation between the two factions is imminent, all that appears certain for now is that PR pro’s will have their nominating work cut out for them this winter.
Force reductions shrinking the Army’s active-duty end strength from 490,000 to 450,000 soldiers by the end of fiscal 2018 will increase the portion of the service’s infrastructure considered excess to 21 percent, according to a rough estimate.“And it’s only going to get worse as the Army declines in force structure,” Paul Cramer, deputy assistant secretary for installations, housing, and partnerships, told Federal News Radio.Officials previously had said the Army’s excess capacity ranged between 12 and 28 percent in the United States, depending on facility category, with an overall average of 18 percent. That analysis was based on an active force of 490,000, a target the Army planned to reach at the beginning of the month.With Congress refusing to allow DOD to shed some of its unneeded installations through a BRAC round, the Army faces a severe shortfall in funding to operate and sustain its facilities. To stretch its dollars further, Lt. Gen. David Halverson — assistant chief of staff for installation management and commander of Installation Management Command — recently signed an execution order directing commanders to consolidate personnel and activities into the newest buildings and attempt to vacate older facilities that are not being fully used.Some unused buildings will be placed in a long-term mothball status, with others designated for eventual demolition, according to the story.“People have a tendency just to expand into whatever buildings they have, but we’ve already lost 80,000 soldiers,” Halverson said. “We need to get them into facilities that optimize the space we have and not have to invest as much in the lower-quality. That’s a new initiative that we’ll be pushing pretty hard this year,” he said.The problem for the Army is that a drop in an installation’s population will not result in a proportional reduction in the cost to operate the base due to the fixed costs required to keep things running.“We’ve already reduced our force structure by 20 percent, and the cost of running our bases has not declined anywhere near that,” Andy Napoli, assistant for BRAC in the office of the assistant secretary of the Army for installations, energy and environment, told Federal News Radio.The service would need to shutter some installations completely to generate significant savings.“The only way you can truly get after that is you have to close a few bases and realign the missions to the bases with higher military value. That gives you permanent savings, and the magnitude of savings you’d get with just a few bases would dwarf any amount of demolition we could do at all of our bases,” Napoli said. Dan Cohen AUTHOR
This is how the Nazi Enigma machine works Now playing: Watch this: Queen Elizabeth II took an early tour of Top Secret: From Ciphers to Cyber Security, a new exhibit at The Science Museum coinciding with the 100th anniversary of the Government Communication Headquarters. Along with the letter from Babbage, the exhibit includes Alan Turing’s Enigma M1070. The Royal Family’s Instagram has more than 2,000 posts, but this was reportedly the first one the queen wrote personally. Her first post has gotten more than 42,000 likes and 836 comments so far.”Today, I had the pleasure of learning about children’s computer coding initiatives and it seems fitting to me that I publish this Instagram post, at the Science Museum which has long championed technology, innovation and inspired the next generation of inventors,” the queen wrote. Mobile Culture 4:44 Share your voice 0 Tags Queen Elizabeth visits The Science Museum in London. The Science Museum Computers are a part of our everyday lives, and we may not give much thought to their origins. In true royal fashion, Queen Elizabeth II has reminded us on Instagram.The queen posted on Thursday that she visited The Science Museum in London and viewed a letter in the Royal Archives written in 1843 by Charles Babbage. Babbage designed the “Difference Engine” and has been credited as the world’s first computer pioneer. The queen wrote that Prince Albert saw a prototype in 1843. Post a comment Instagram
Sonakshi SinhaCollage of her Instagram photosA day after the video of her arrest created ripples, Bollywood actress Sonakshi Sinha has revealed that she was arrested because it is a crime to look that good. It is a promo of new makeup collection Pose.A couple of videos featuring Sonakshi Sinha getting arrested went viral on the social media on Tuesday. Many of her fans were shocked and saddened to see the Dabangg actress in handcuffs. Many reports emerged in various media houses, but nobody mentioned the reason for her arrest, which led to confusion. Some speculated that it must be in connection with a complaint filed by and event organiser.But later, Sonakshi Sinha cleared the air through her Instagram story and revealed that she has become the face of MyGlamm’s new collection of makeup Pose and those leaked videos were that part of its promotion. The actress also wrote, “Hey guys, I know there are some concerning videos doing the rounds. It is me, but then that’s not the entire truth. I will share everything in detail with you all soon…”Today, we know for sure that she got arrested for ‘looking too good’ as another video is doing the rounds where she is sitting in handcuffs in an investigation cell and she’s trying to clarify that she has not done anything wrong. This was all a part of the promotional campaign by MyGlamm, and this was their way to announce Sonakshi’s association with the brand, as she has become the new face for POSE.Sonakshi Sinha posted, “YEAH… I got arrested!!! WHY, you ask? – BECAUSE ITS A CRIME TO LOOK THIS GOOD!!!! SO excited to announce that I’m the face for POSE by @myglamm , their new collection of camera-ready HD makeup. It makes you look so good, you can POSE whenever, wherever! #MyGlamm #POSE #POSEMakeup #POSEHDMakeup #HDMakeup #Makeup #CameraReady #InstaMakeup #CrueltyFreeMakeup #VeganBeauty #AsliSonaArrested #WhereIsSonakshiSinha.”On the work front, Sonakshi Sinha released Khandaani Shafakhana on August 2, but the movie failed badly at the box office. Her next release will be Mission Mangal, which is slated to hit screens on August 15. Besides she has another two films like Dabangg 3 and Bhuj: The Pride of India, which is slated for next year.
Monday, September 12, 2016 Share To buy tickets, go to tiff.net. Posted by Michael Smith TORONTO — Agents and industry representatives were partying last night on the TIFF Bell Lightbox rooftop in celebration of Turkish cinema.Turkey has two movies showing at the Toronto International Film Festival this year – ‘Kor’ and ‘Tereddüt.’ The Turkish Consulate General Culture and Information Office hopes the films will showcase the beauty and culture of the destination, and in-turn, inspire more tourists to visit.Taking into account how much the ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy impacted tourism in New Zealand, it’s easy to see why destinations are keen to have movies promoting their landscapes and culture.Turkey is one of 40+ destinations that are being promoted at TIFF this year, almost double from the previous year. As part of the Industry Centre at TIFF, destinations will promote themselves to producers, directors, and media with exhibition style booths. Country representatives are in Toronto to not only sell their movies to distributors, but also scout for possible filming locations.More news: Windstar celebrates record-breaking bookings in JulyPart of film promotion also includes VIP parties like the one last night. These soirees bring producers and distributors together to try and make a sale and to help promote the movies to media. Parties are also a chance to thank industry partners, as was the case last night with representatives from the Turkish Consulate General, Turkish Airlines, WestJet, The Travel Corporation, New Wave Travel, Able Travel, and Travel Savers. Over 300 guests were in attendance last night, all of which were treated to a special performance by Turkish psychedelic rock band BaBaZula.The travel industry was out enjoying the nights festivities. Credit: Darlene Paolucci.‘Kor’ will be showing at TIFF on Sept. 17 while ‘Tereddüt’ will be showing on Sept. 13, 15 and 16. Turkey and TIFF: How destinations promote themselves behind the scenes Tags: Toronto, Turkey << Previous PostNext Post >>