– Advertisement – Ambassador Brown suggests a regime that’s fair and balancedLiberia’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations, Lewis Brown, II, has urged the UN to ensure that interventions of its sanction regime are conducted in a fair and balanced manner, with the ability to impress upon the national consciousness of affected member states and popular opinion.Ambassador Brown observed that the imposition of sanctions is not necessarily to demonstrate the enormous powers of the United Nations, but rather to assist the lost member state to find its way back into the fold of the global family.He encouraged the United Nations to thoroughly consider what affected countries could learn from sanctions imposed on them and how that could positively impact societies and lives.According to a dispatch from Liberia’s Permanent Mission in New York, Ambassador Brown made the assertion when he addressed a meeting at the UN Headquarters on the theme: “Enhancing the Design Process of UN Sanctions: Perspectives from All Stakeholders,” organized by the Egyptian Permanent Mission to the United Nations aimed at discussing the enhancement of the UN sanctions design process, including perspectives of previously or currently targeted countries.Sharing his experience as an “affected person from an affected member state,” Liberia’s top diplomat at the United Nations said sanctions remind member states that the world is watching and has interest in what they do, noting that there is little doubt that without sanctions, Liberia’s return to civility might have been even more protracted.“The story of the end to Liberia’s protracted conflict will be incomplete without a chapter deservedly dedicated to the role of the United Nations, its peacekeeping operations and various support mechanisms as well as the imposition of a regime of sanctions spanning more than two decades intended to return a war-wary population to peace and security, including those in Liberia’s geographic neighborhood,” Ambassador Brown emphasized.He, however, urged that sanctions should not be trivialized; rather they must be employed, with minimal risks to the long-term interests of the country or people the sanctions ultimately seek to serve.In the case of sanctions on individuals, Ambassador Brown urged that care be taken not to impress on a society such as Liberia, already trapped by decadent practices of exclusions of its own citizens, that the denial of rights without the required due process of law can be an acceptable practice.When the sanctions are lifted, the Liberian diplomat urged the United Nations to be ready to assist the country and its people to recover its international credibility, its rightful place in the comity of nations and its course of nation building.He reiterated that Liberia is grateful that the United Nations has not abandoned it in its continued efforts to recover.The United Nations records the establishment of 26 sanction regimes since 1966 targeting countries including Liberia and non-state actors as a tool for the maintenance of international peace and security.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Amb. Lewis G. Brown, former Permanent Representative of Liberia to the United Nations
New Delhi, Oct 11 (PTI) Just Buy Live, an online distributor that connects mom-and-pop retailers to consumer brands, aims to become profitable by next fiscal as it focuses on expanding its presence to more states including Gujarat and Kerala.”We are spending on infrastructure building and onboarding retailers but we are not burning cash. We are focusing on becoming profitable in each centre that we operate in,” Just Buy Live Chairman and CEO Sahil Sani told PTI.Also, because the company is not in the race to discount and get customers, it would hit profitability faster, he added.The company, which received funding earlier this year from Mohandas Pais Arin Capital and Alpha Capital Advisors, operates in cities like Delhi and Mumbai.”We are now looking at expanding our model to states like Gujarat, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan by the end of the fiscal,” he said.Unlike e-commerce companies, Just Buy Live uses the digital platform to connect brands with offline retailers. It has on board brands like Xiaomi, Samsung, Micromax, YU Mobiles, Oppo, Patanjali, ITC, P&G, Unilever, Coca Cola, Pepsico, Amul and Nestle.”We arent fighting with e-commerce companies for customers. Our competition is distributors. We are aggregated suppliers of various brands and with value propositions for retailers like exclusive launches, we have seen phenomenal growth, 30 per cent month-on-month growth,” he said.Established in 2015, the company launched commercial operations in January this year. It claims to have 60,000 retailers on its platform. With an average order value of Rs 17,500 on its platform, it is confident of hitting profitability within its targeted period.advertisementIt aims to have 10,000 brands and one million products on offer reaching out to a million retailers by the end of 2016.Just Buy Lives app hosts over 500,000 products from 2,500 brands across categories like foods, personal care, auto, mobile, home, fashion, toys, sports and stationery among others. PTI SR ANU
Ernesto Valverde expects Real Madrid to be “dangerous” Clasico opponents despite accepting Barcelona’s rivals go into Sunday’s La Liga clash in crisis.Madrid head coach Julen Lopetegui’s job is reportedly on the line when he takes on Barcelona for the first time since leaving his post in charge of Spain prior to the World Cup.Barca warmed up for Madrid by defeating Inter 2-0 in the Champions League on Wednesday, goals from Rafinha and Jordi Alba earning a comfortable Group B win. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Man Utd ready to spend big on Sancho and Haaland in January Who is Marcus Thuram? Lilian’s son who is top of the Bundesliga with Borussia Monchengladbach Brazil, beware! Messi and Argentina out for revenge after Copa controversy Best player in MLS? Zlatan wasn’t even the best player in LA! But despite Barca sitting six places above Madrid in the La Liga table going into Sunday’s Clasico, Valverde will not be taking a positive result for granted.”Madrid can be even more dangerous,” Valverde told a news conference after his side’s win against Inter.”They will come out here to face us and although they come in crisis will want to demonstrate their strength, which they have because they have great players.”We must forget about today… I do not trust these situations.”Lionel Messi will miss the Clasico after fracturing his right arm against Sevilla at the weekend, with Rafinha stepping into the Barca captain’s place with a goal against former club Inter, and Valverde is confident that his team have responded in the right manner without their superstar. (•_•)<) )╯ @LaLiga : Leaders/ \\(•_•)( (> @ChampionsLeague : Leaders/ \(•_•)<) )> Next challenge: #ElClásico / \— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) October 24, 2018 “We have responded well without Messi,” Valverde said. “There was a lot of expectation to see how we responded to his absence.”It was something that was in everyone’s head and it showed in the environment, but we have responded well.”We always play as a team and we have a recognised and recognisable style, but it is true that Messi gives us a touch of extraordinary brilliance.”If he is not there, we have to replace him, today we have made the right decision, but we hope we can come back soon, we all miss him.”77: Change!@kingarturo23 @arthurhromelo #ForçaBarça pic.twitter.com/DXTsH1nmC2 — FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) October 24, 2018 Valverde appeared to be whistled by the Camp Nou crowd when he replaced Arthur, who shone in midfield, with Arturo Vidal late in the game.”I am the person who knows the players best,” Valverde said. “Arthur had a small muscle overload and with the week ahead we preferred not to risk him. But only I know that.”
Afghan volunteers transport an injured man on a stretcher to a hospital following a bomb attack in Taloqan in northeastern Takhar province on 13 October 2018. A motorcycle carrying explosives blew up among supporters of an Afghan election candidate on 13 October, killing at least 12 people, officials said, in the latest attack on a political rally. Photo: AFPThe death toll in a bomb attack on an Afghan election rally has risen to at least 22 people, officials said Sunday, as the country braces for more violence ahead of the 20 October poll.Dozens of people were killed or wounded in parliamentary election-related attacks across Afghanistan on Saturday as militants step up attacks on the ballot.A motorcycle carrying explosives detonated among supporters of Nazifa Yousefibek, a female candidate for the northeastern province of Takhar, provincial governor spokesman Mohammad Jawad Hejri told AFP.Most of the 22 killed and 36 wounded were civilians, he said.Provincial health director Hafizullah Safi put the death toll slightly higher at 23.In the western province of Herat, two gunmen attacked the campaign office of a candidate in Injeel district, killing two people, provincial governor spokesman Jailani Farhad said.A nine-year-old boy and a security guard died in the attack and two others were wounded.Violence related to the long-delayed legislative vote has killed or wounded hundreds of people in recent months.At least nine candidates have died so far, most of them in targeted killings, according to the Independent Election Commission.