Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, June 14, 2017 – Nassau – U.S. Charge d’Affaires Lisa Johnson paid a courtesy call on the Minister of Health, the Hon. Dr. Duane Sands, at the Ministry’s offices on Thursday, June 1, 2017. (BIS Photo/Raymond A. Bethel, Sr.)
Related Items:#hurricaneseasonofficiallyends, #MagnetidMediaNews Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, November 30, 2017 – Providenciales – The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane Season officially ends today, November 30 and it was a record breaker with 17 named systems and it is said to be by far be the costliest season in history. Nearly $370b in damages and lives lost were put at 441.From the designated names of Arlene to Rina, the season is historic with some of the strongest storms ever recorded.#MagnetidMediaNews#hurricaneseasonofficiallyends Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
A new book chronicling the multitude of strategies several installations in Southern California have pursued to limit their impact on the environment while enhancing their energy security and protecting threatened species will be released Sept. 1. The author of “Unlikely Ally: How the Military Fights Climate Change and Protects the Environment,” Marilyn Berlin Snell, previously was staff writer for Sierra, the magazine of the Sierra Club and founding director of the magazine’s investigative journalism project.U.S. Forest Service photo by Randy Browning Dan Cohen AUTHOR
Politics Internet Services Comments A petition to revoke Article 50, the clause triggering the UK’s exit from the EU, went viral on Thursday, causing Parliament’s petitions site to display a notice saying it was “down for maintenance.”The petitions site was unavailable for several short periods of time after gaining traction overnight on Wednesday. “We know that the Petitions site is experiencing problems due to the number of people using the site,” said a House of Commons spokesman. “This is a mixture of people signing petitions and refreshing the site to see changes to the number of signatures. We are working to get the problems fixed as soon as possible.”At the time of writing, the petition to stop Brexit had over 827,000 signatures. According to Parliament’s own rules, a petition will be considered for debate when it reaches 100,000 signatures and the government has three days to respond.A notice on Parliament’s petitions site. Screenshot/Katie Collins “The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is ‘the will of the people’,” the petition reads. “We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People’s Vote may not happen — so vote now.”The number of signatures picked up steam following a speech by Prime Minister Theresa May on Wednesday evening, in which she claimed that the Brexit crisis was not her fault, but rather the fault of politicians who refused to vote for the deal she had negotiated with the EU.As it stands, the UK will either leave the EU on March 29 with May’s deal (which has been voted down three times in Parliament), leave the EU on March 29 with no deal at all (a prospect rejected by a separate vote in Parliament), or it can revoke Article 50 and choose not to leave at all. The Prime Minister is in Brussels on Thursday to ask all 27 EU member states for an extension in the hope that it will buy her more time to pass her deal and get it ratified to ensure a smooth transition.Spokespeople from the Prime Minister’s office didn’t immediately respond to request for comment. Share your voice 4 Tags
Irish airline Aer Lingus has rejected a takeover bid from IAG, the parent company of British Airways, on Thursday saying that the offer undervalued its worth.In a statement, Aer Lingus confirmed the rejection, considering the amount of media speculation the offer from International Consolidated Airlines Group (IAG) caused.”The board has reviewed the proposal and believes it fundamentally undervalues Aer Lingus and its attractive prospects … there can be no certainty that any offer will be made nor as to the terms of any offer. Shareholders are strongly advised to take no action,” said Aer Lingus in a statement.IAG – run by Willie Walsh, former chief executive of Aer Lingus – had offered to takeover Aer Lingus on 14 December for a reported $1.42 billion. “International Consolidated Airlines Group notes the recent movement in the share price of Aer Lingus and confirms it submitted a proposal to make an offer for the company, which has been rejected by the board of Aer Lingus,” said IAG in a statement.The offer price wasn’t mentioned by either party. However, the Financial Times cited people familiar with the matter as saying that the deal was valued at $1.42 billion.Aer Lingus has become a potential takeover company as rival Ryanair, its biggest shareholder, is set to lose an appeal in a UK court to sell 29.9 percent stake in the company.Ryanair has been asked to sell its stake in Aer Lingus by the UK competition authorities but Aer Lingus has been resisting it, according to The Financial Times.If Ryanair decides to appeal in a higher court, the acquisition process could be delayed.The Irish government owns 25 percent stake in Aer Lingus and said that it would be ready to sell its stake for the right price.Other shareholders of Aer Lingus include UAE’s national carrier Etihad, which holds 4 percent. Experts say that the Aer Lingus takeover would be perfect for IAG.”A takeover would fit from an IAG position, but the airline would have challenges if it returns with another bid: there could be regulatory concern or challenges from other airlines on competition grounds – but not a show-stopper. Aer Lingus has been successful even against a difficult economic climate in Ireland, and a deal would give IAG an even stronger network position at Heathrow,” aviation analyst John Strickland told The Guardian.
After extending gains for the second straight week, domestic stock markets are headed for major economic data releases next week, while investors will also closely watch the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) meeting.In the week ended 27 November, benchmark indices have posted a gain of 1% on the hopes that the Modi government would be able to pass the key Goods and Services Tax (GST) bill in the ongoing winter session of Parliament.While the BSE S&P Sensex ended the week at 26,128.20, gaining 259.71 points, the 50-share Nifty was up 86.15 points to close at 7,942.70.”Nifty broke out on Friday from the recent trading band of 7,700-7,940. With BankNifty leading from the front, advancing ~1.8% in this week’s trade, we expect Nifty to sustain this momentum and attempt 8,050 in the near term. On the downside, 7,900 could provide a strong support,” said Anil Ambani, Head of Research, IIFL.Despite a weakness in other Asian markets, the indices showed strength amid increased efforts from the government to get GST bill approved by Parliament in the current session.Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s meeting with his predecessor Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Friday to discuss issues related to GST bill also spurred hopes on its passage in the Rajya Sabha in the session.Meanwhile, markets will closely monitor the major economic data — October fiscal deficit, Q3 GDP data and the Nikkei PMI manufacturing data-for clues on growth.While a Bloomberg poll estimates the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) to have grown by 7.3%, any sign of slower growth could dampen the sentiment among FIIs, resulting in further outflows.October fiscal deficit data will be also scrutinised closely, as the government may miss the fiscal deficit target set for the year 2015-16, upon the implementation of the Seventh Pay Commission recommendations from 1 January, 2016.However, the RBI meeting will likely be a non-event for the markets as it is widely expected to keep lending rates on hold.”After a hefty 50bps cut during September, markets do not expect much to happen on the rate front during the December RBI monetary policy review. RBI has undertaken four cuts this calendar year. It is likely that the central bank will pause to gauge the recent spike in food prices and assess whether lower inflationary levels are sustainable,” said Ambani.
The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) on Thursday detained an officer of Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA) red-handed while taking bribe.An five-member ACC team, led by its director Nasim Anwar, arrested BRTA mechanic Suman Kumar Saha from BRTA’s Narsingdi office around 11:00am, ACC public relations officer Pranab Kumar Bhattacharya told UNB. Earlier, Suman Saha had demanded Tk 25,000 as bribe from Yasir Arafat, a driving license seeker, alluring that if he gives the money, Suman will give him a BRTA driving license without any test. Later, Yasir lodged a complaint with the Commission in this regard, reports UNB. In consultation with ACC officials, the plaintiff went to the BTRA office on Thursday morning to give him the money he asked for. While receiving Tk 10,000 in first installment, the ACC team caught Suman red-handed. ACC assistant director of its Narsingdi Zila office Rezaul Karim filed a case against Zakir Hossain with Narsingdi Sadar police station in this regard. On Wednesday, the ACC in a separate drive arrested a branch assistant of Tangail’s executive magistrate court and an office assistant of the science and technology ministry red-handed while taking bribe.
×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 CISAC president and veteran electronic musician Jean-Michel Jarre (pictured above) said, “CISAC is at the heart of a battle for the future of over 4 million creators worldwide. I am passionately involved in this struggle. Europe has now recognized that it is time for change: it is not acceptable for the law to shield large tech monopolies and sustain a systemic injustice for creators. There is now a message to get to the rest of the world: it is time for other governments to sit up and follow.”Other highlights from the report include:Music collections increase 6.0% to €8.34 billionAudiovisual collections rise 6.8% to €611 millionLiterature collections climb 5.2% to €227 millionVisual arts royalties jump 19.0% to €208 millionDramatic repertoire collections grow 3.7%TV and radio continue to be the top use category at €3.89 billion, followed by live and background at €2.74 billion CISAC’s global network of 239 societies licenses content and collects royalties on behalf of 4 million creators for uses including TV, radio, live, background, digital and private copying. Global royalties collections for creators of music, audiovisual, visual arts, drama and literature rose to a record high of €9.6 billion in 2017 (nearly $11 billion), up 6.2% on the previous year, according to the 2018 Global Collections Report published today by CISAC, the International Confederation of Societies of Authors and Composers.Royalties from digital income are reported over the €1 billion mark ($1.14 billion) for the first time after a 24.0% increase in 2017. Digital collections have nearly tripled (up 166%) in the last five years, boosted by the streaming boom and, lately, by surging consumer uptake of video streaming services, according to the announcement.Music royalties have grown to €8.3 billion, up 6.0%, with digital also reported over €1 billion for the first time. Despite digital’s rise for all repertoires to €1.27 billion, revenues from digital uses remain far below collections from broadcast, live and background uses. The CISAC report reads, “Only 13% of creators’ royalties come from digital sources (up from 11%), a reflection of the gross mismatch between the volume of creative work being made available via digital channels and the amounts being returned to creators,” a clear reference to the “value gap” frequently cited by rights holders with regard to the low royalty rates paid by YouTube, the world’s most-popular platform for streaming music, compared with other streamliner services. Popular on Variety “Digital collections are held back by a fundamental market flaw,” the report reads. “A 2018 study commissioned by CISAC – ‘Economic Analysis of Safe Harbor Provisions’ by Professor Stan Liebowitz – shows how copyright safe harbor regimes are distorting the digital market globally. Subscription services like Spotify and Apple Music are at a disadvantage, generating lower revenues and with a reduced user base, due to user-upload content services like YouTube exploiting safe harbor legislation.”It is the fifth consecutive year of global growth for creators, and the first to see increases in all repertoires. The report also notes that growth in TV and radio collections suggests that surging digital revenues are not currently cannibalizing more traditional markets. In 16 of the top 20 digital collecting countries, broadcast royalties saw growth.Founded in 1926, CISAC is the world’s largest network of authors’ societies, with 239 member societies in 121 countries. It represents over four million creators from all geographic regions and artistic repertoires including music, audiovisual, drama, literature and visual arts.“This impressive performance proves that authors’ societies are delivering value to the millions of creators they represent around the world,” said CISAC Director General Gadi Oron. “They have responded to rapidly changing technology, licensing digital services in new flexible ways and handling trillions of data transactions. And they are fighting for the best licensing terms and the highest royalties possible in a world where powerful users are determined to avoid, or minimize, paying a fair return for their work.”
Sony Playstation Network begins restoration of their online network (w/video) (PhysOrg.com) — Only a few days after Sony brought their PlayStation Network back on-line hackers have shown that the PSN is still vulnerable to attacks. This time around hackers have reset user account passwords by using their email address and date of birth. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. More information: via Nyleveia.com News of this third attack first appeared on Nyleveia.com which warned users that their accounts are still not safe. According to Nyleveia.com “…the exploit involves a vulnerability in the password reset form currently implemented, not properly verifying tokens”.Sony has since then blocked PSN login access to a number of its site, and the PSN password reset site has also been taken offline. The company has stated: “unfortunately this also means that those who are still trying to change their password via Playstation.com or Qriocity.com will be unable to do so for the time being.”Sony went on to say, “in the meantime you will still be able to sign into PSN via your PlayStation 3 and PSP devices to connect to game services and view Trophy/Friends information.”According to Nyleveia.com website: “I would suggest that you secure your accounts now by creating a completely new email that you will not use anywhere else, and switching your PSN account to use this new email.””You risk having your account stolen, when this hack becomes more public, if you do not make sure that your PSN account’s email is one that cannot be affiliated with or otherwise traced to you.”It would seem that Sony has a lot more work ahead of them. Their customers are going to less likely believe them when they say that their network is now secure. Explore further With Sony’s PlayStation Network back online only a few days, attackers have breached the system for a third time. This time going for a vulnerability with the system’s password reset. Citation: Sony PlayStation Network hacked again by resetting user passwords (2011, May 18) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2011-05-sony-playstation-network-hacked-resetting.html © 2010 PhysOrg.com