Tone and terms of missing murdered women inquiry will be critical Wally

first_imgThe Canadian PressOTTAWA – A former B.C. attorney general who led the province’s Missing Women Commission of Inquiry says the federal government must strike the right tone and clearly define the terms for its own study of missing and murdered Indigenous women.Wally Oppal conducted hearings and published a 2012 report on how authorities handled cases involving missing and murdered women in the wake of the Robert Pickton case. Pickton is a serial killer convicted in 2007 of the murders of six women and charged in the deaths of 20 others.Oppal says the incoming Liberal government must determine what kind of inquiry it will conduct to ensure it is proactive in nature.“I would think that if you’re going to have an inquiry, you don’t need to have one of the type that we had, where the police were cross-examined for endless days because one of our tasks was to find out what the police did wrong during the Pickton years,” Oppal said.“I think if they’re going to have one, they should have an inquiry that goes to the various communities and the centres, a commissioner or group of commissioners, to get the voice of the communities.“It never hurts to talk to the communities to get their views and to bring them on side.”Oppal also says the Grits should take previous inquiries into account to ensure the new investigation does not retrace old ground.In their election platform, the Liberals committed to “immediately” starting a national public inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls in Canada.The party said it would seek recommendations for governments, law enforcement and others to help “solve these crimes and prevent future ones.”It also committed to spending $40 million on the study over two years.Oppal said it will be important for the government to spend wisely.“You could not have the type of inquiry that we had, where we had witnesses being called and being examined, you couldn’t do that for $40 million across the country,” he said. “The moment you announce a national inquiry, the lawyers are going to line up. So you have to be careful as to how you’re going to spend the money.”last_img read more

Football Urban Meyer names Parris Campbell Ohio States best playmaker and current

OSU then-redshirt sophomore wide receiver Parris Campbell (21) scores a touchdown during the second half of the Buckeyes game against Rutgers on Oct. 1. The Buckeyes won 58-0. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo EditorOhio State seems to already have someone in mind to replace Curtis Samuel at the H-back position. On Tuesday, Buckeyes coach Urban Meyer announced redshirt junior Parris Campbell is the leading man for the potential role of hybrid-back.“We moved Parris inside a little bit, and he’s dynamic,” Meyer said. “He was a running back in high school. Big dude that can run and catch — he’s that guy right now.”Although Campbell received the nod as the current H-back favorite, Meyer said redshirt sophomore K.J. Hill has also been in the mix, although the team is still experimenting with moving players around at various positions. As arguably one of the most important positions on the field for the Buckeyes, there will be lofty expectations placed on the shoulders of whoever gets the starting H-back job.Samuel, a now potential second-round pick in this year’s NFL draft, was the epitome of dynamic. With 865 yards receiving and 771 yards on the ground, combined with 15 total touchdowns, it was easy to name the Brooklyn, New York, native as the best player on the Scarlet and Gray offense last season.Now, with Samuel gone, OSU has a tough choice to make — take a player who’s been at a different position previously and make him an H-back, or mold a newcomer into the role. Even with Campbell as the current frontrunner, Meyer also named him as one of the leading wide receivers currently.“Well Parris is … I’d put Parris No. 1,” Meyer said. “I’d put K.J. and Terry McLaurin either (No. 2) slash (No. 3). I’d push Ben Victor … he’s as talented as any I’ve ever coached. And then Austin Mack, and Johnnie Dixon’s having a good spring, so they all are. Brendon White’s actually making good plays for us. And Eric Glover-Williams, he’s just got to get everything in order.”Campbell had just 121 yards receiving, and a lowly 54 yards on the ground, although he did score a touchdown once. Mostly a kickoff return specialist and a gunner on punt coverage, there were plenty of moments he showed his speed and athleticism.However, running the ball out of the backfield and being quick enough on the inside is a whole new ballgame. Through he’s played the position in the past, trying to convert a wide receiver to running back bodes a similar challenge to making a catcher a shortstop in baseball.Still, Campbell is in Meyer’s good graces, and could be taking snaps from both the backfield and out wide this season.“He’s one of my favorite players just because he’s so unselfish and goes so hard,” Meyer said. “He deserves to have a great year, and he’s one of our best playmakers right now.” read more

Jose Mourinho should knuckle down at Man Utd – Tim Sherwood

first_imgBlackburn Rovers legend and former Tottenham manager Tim Sherwood says Jose Mourinho should “knuckle down and create a positive vibe” at Manchester United, stating that he needs to create a positive air around the club in order to have a successful season.Manchester United boss Mourinho couldn’t add another central defender to his ranks before the wrap of transfer window, even after a lengthy spell chasing Leicester’s Harry Maguire and a speed Deadline Day chase for Atletico Madrid’s Diego Godin.Speaking to Sky Sports, Sherwood said:“Most managers don’t spend the amount of money in a lifetime that he has in the last two seasons. He’s been very fortunate to have been given the funds at one of the biggest clubs in the world, so I can’t understand why any manager, with that backing, is ever disgruntled.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding ar Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“I think Jose needs to get in front of the camera in a press conference and send a message to the players saying, ‘This is what we’ve got, I believe in you and we will push Man City a lot closer this season.’“As a manager, when you sit in front of the media, you are not only talking to your fans and players, you are also talking to the board and I think he’s got to stop talking to the board now. There’s nothing you can do now, the window is closed, he has to carry on, knuckle down and get the best results for his club. He needs to send out a positive vibe.“He’s got [Victor] Lindelof, [Eric] Bailly, [Chris] Smalling or [Phil] Jones, they are all international footballers and they are now thinking that they aren’t really wanted there. The manager tried to sign a centre-back, wasn’t allowed to do it and he’s almost been left with us. Now is the time to knuckle down and get on with it and start sending a positive message about the whole club.”last_img read more

Huesca wants to be the first La Liga team to play

first_imgThe team’s president has volunteered his club to play an official match in the United States this seasonSociedad Deportiva Huesca is a small team playing for the first time in La Liga, the top level of the Spanish football.With a stadium supporting only 5,500 supporters, the team is doing everything it can to grow its fan base.And president Jose Antonio Martin Otin might have found the answer.After La Liga reported to sign a 15-year deal taking at least one official La Liga match to the United States, Huesca says they want in.Sergio Ramos, Real MadridZidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.“Huesca has made an offer to the LFP to be one of the teams that play the game in the United States, as long as there’s an agreement with the players in Spain,” Martin Otin told ESPN as reported by Four Four Two.“If there’s an agreement with the players, Huesca have told the LFP president to keep us in mind when it comes to playing this game. We would love to be involved in it.”Huesca opened up their 2018-2019 campaign with a win at Eibar.They later tied 2-2 against Athletic Bilbao.And this Sunday they will visit the Camp Nou to play against Barcelona.last_img read more

BNP accuses AL of destroying liberation war spirit

first_imgBNPBangladesh Nationalist Party secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir on Thursday alleged that whenever Awami League came to power it destroyed the spirit of the liberation war, reports UNB.”We waged the liberation war in 1971 with a dream to build a democratic and modern state ensuring the freedom of expression. But the dream still remains unimplemented. Whenever Awami League got the chance to come power, it destroyed the spirit of liberation war,” he said.The BNP leader came up with the comments while speaking at a discussion at Mohanagar Natya Mancha in the city, arranged by the party marking the Martyred Intellectual Day.He alleged that the government is taking all-out steps to eliminate its opponents and those who hold alternative opinions.Fakhrul called upon people from all walks of life to get united to restore democracy and freedom of expression in the country.He said the government has completely politicised the administration and brought the judiciary under the control of the ruling party.The BNP leader alleged that those who are raising their voice against the current regime are being made disappeared, killed, harassed and implicated in ‘false’ cases.Turning to the next election issue, he urged the government to engage in talks with political parties for finding out an acceptable way for holding the polls in a credible manner as per the hopes and aspirations of people. Otherwise, Fakhrul warned, the government will have to face serious public wraths.BNP standing committee member Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain said they heard that a conspiracy is on to keep them out of the election race by implicating the BNP chairperson and all other leaders in cases and ensuring their conviction.”But we want to say unequivocally that the 11th national election will not be similar to the 2014 polls as it will not be allowed to hold such an election,” he said.If the 11th general election is held like the one held in 2014, it will only kill democracy, the spirit of the liberation war and that of the martyred intellectuals. “So, the BNP which was founded by freedom fighter late president Ziaur Rahman will never let it do so,” Mosharraf added.Another BNP standing committee member Moudud Ahmed said the independence of the country’s judiciary and the Supreme Court was hampered by the government. “Now the government forces judges to resign as it made former chief justice SK Sinha to do so by humiliating and insulting them on any silly ground.”Presided over by Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, the discussion was also addressed by BNP standing committee member Abdul Moyeen Khan, BNP vice chairperson Selima Rahman, Dhaka University professors Mahbubullah and Sukomal Barua.BNP publicity secretary Shahiduddin Chowdhury Annie and its assistant publicity secretary Amirul Islam Khan Alim moderated the discussion.last_img read more

Kaladze elected Tbilisi mayor

first_imgKaladze played for AC Milan between 2001 and 2010, helping the team to twice win the Champions League. AFPGeorgia announced Sunday that former AC Milan football star Kakha Kaladze had been elected mayor of its capital Tbilisi.The country’s election administration said on its website that Kaladze won 51 percent of the vote in Saturday’s municipal election.The 39-year-old played for AC Milan between 2001 and 2010, helping the team to twice win the Champions League. He previously played for Dynamo Kiev and Dinamo Tbilisi and also captained Georgia’s national side.He quit football in 2012 while playing for Genoa in order to devote himself to politics and campaign alongside billionaire tycoon Bidzina Ivanishvili to challenge then-president Mikheil Saakashvili.He became energy minister in October 2012 after Ivanishvili’s coalition scored a shock parliamentary election victory over Saakashvili’s party.In July this year, he resigned to run as mayor of the capital, a city of 1.2 million.In a personal tragedy, his brother was kidnapped in 2001 by abductors who demanded a ransom and took him to a gorge that was a notorious hideout for Chechen separatist rebels. His body was identified five years later.last_img read more

Body of additional IGP brought home

first_imgAdditional IGP Rowshan Ara. File photoThe body of additional IGP Rowshan Ara, killed in a road crash in Kinshasa, Congo on Monday, were brought home on Thursday morning, reports UNB,A Turkish Airways flight, carrying the body, landed at Dhaka airport around 5:00am, said AIG (Media) of police headquarters Md Sohel Rana.Her first namaz-e-janaza was held at Maghbazar Noatola Jam-e-masjid around 10:00am.The second namaz-e-janaza will be held at Maghbazar Wireless Jam-e-masjid around noon and a third one at Rajarbagh police lines SI Shiru Mia auditorium after Johr prayers, said Rana.Home minister Asaduzzaman Khan, IGP Javed Patwary, public security division secretary, and members of police, relatives, friends and well-wishers of the deceased will attend the janaza, he said.She will be laid to rest at Azimpur graveyard.Rowshan Ara was killed in a collision between a civilian lorry and the vehicle carrying her and others on the way to the Medal Parade of Bangladesh Formed Police Unit.last_img read more

Trump Narrows Supreme Court Shortlist To 3 — With 2 On The

first_imgCarolyn Kaster/APPresident Trump boards Air Force One, Thursday, en route to Montana.President Trump has narrowed his list of Supreme Court candidates to three, according to two sources close to the process.The three are judges Brett Kavanaugh, Amy Coney Barrett and Raymond Kethledge with Kavanaugh and Barrett as the top two at this moment.It’s important to maintain that caveat, because President Trump has not made a final decision, and it could change.Trump could decide (decide not announce) sooner rather than later, as early as tomorrow, though the official announcement is still slated for Monday.Judge Thomas Hardiman, the runner-up to Justice Neil Gorsuch, is still in the mix, though seen as fourth on the list.Whoever is picked is likely to be more conservative than the man they’d be replacing — Justice Anthony Kennedy. Kennedy was often a swing vote on the court, sometimes siding with the court’s conservatives and, at others, with the court’s liberals.For the first time in his career, though, this term he sided exclusively with the court’s conservatives.So who are the candidates who could replace Kennedy? Here are some snapshots:Brett Kavanaugh, D.C. Circuit U.S. Court of AppealsKavanaugh, 53, is a former Kennedy clerk and a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit, which is commonly referred to as the second-most powerful court in the country.He’s a connected Washington insider with roots in politics in the George W. Bush White House. He’s written some 300 opinions for the D.C. Circuit in 12 years — and he’s only 53, which means he will likely serve on the high court, if confirmed, for a very long time.Some conservatives, though, question his bona fides, and he’s controversial with Democrats because of his role investigating former President Bill Clinton as part of the Starr investigation. Some conservatives have been lobbying against him, worrying that his upbringing in the suburbs of Washington could mean he’s the kind of justice who has disappointed conservatives before.These conservatives, including Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, believe he is not sufficiently conservative and disagree with portions of opinions he’s written relating to abortion and Obamacare.— Domenico MontanaroAmy Coney Barrett, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals Barrett, 46, clerked for the late Justice Antonin Scalia. She’s only been a federal judge for about a year. Before that, she was a law professor at the University of Notre Dame.During her confirmation hearing for the 7th Circuit, Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., questioned Barrett about whether her Catholic faith might color her work on the bench. “The dogma lives loudly within you, and that’s of concern,” Feinstein said of Barrett. The senator’s questions drew a rebuke from Catholic leaders.She was confirmed 55 to 43 by the Senate, and three Democrats voted for her — Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Tim Kaine of Virginia and Joe Donnelly of Indiana.Her age, the youngest of those in final consideration, is seen as both a strength and a weakness. She could serve on the court a long time, but she does not have a lengthy record of opinions. She has lots of scholarly writing, however. Notably, she wrote a paper for the Texas Law Review in 2013 on the role of precedent in constitutional interpretation. She said existing precedent should not be overturned lightly, but she said it’s not “out of bounds”:“Our legal culture does not, and never has, treated the reversal of precedent as out-of-bounds. Instead, it treats departing from precedent as a permissible move, albeit one that should be made only for good reason.”— Scott HorsleyCopyright 2018 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/. Sharelast_img read more

Robert E Lee Statue Vandalized on Richmonds Monument Ave

first_imgRICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee on Richmond’s famed Monument Avenue has been vandalized.Red paint was splattered on the statue’s base. The letters BLM, an apparent reference to the Black Lives Matter movement, was also sprayed on the base.Investigators look at the vandalism on the Robert E. Lee statue on Monument Avenue on Saturday, Aug. 4, 2018 in Richmond, Va. The letters BLM, an apparent reference to the Black Lives Matter movement, was also sprayed on the base. (Dean Hoffmeyer /Richmond Times-Dispatch via AP)Virginia Capitol Police, which is responsible for policing the monuments, told news outlets the vandalism occurred late Friday or early Saturday between patrols.The vandalism occurs a week ahead of the one-year anniversary of the deadly White nationalist rally in Charlottesville that was organized in part as a protest to plans to remove a Lee Statue there.A Richmond commission that reviewed the city’s row of Confederate statues on Monument Avenue recommended earlier this year removing a statue of Confederate President Jefferson Davis but keeping others in place.last_img read more